Unusual wedding cakes can make a wedding more unique or special not only for the couple but for all of the guests. Luckily, unusual wedding cakes don't have to be expensive. But, of course, like most other aspects of the wedding, if you want to spend a lot, you certainly can!
One option for an unusual wedding cake is to have a themed cake featuring something that is special to you as a couple. This is probably the simplest way to have an unusual wedding cake that everyone will remember. Here are some ideas:
- Create a design in Photoshop that can be printed onto edible paper and spread over the top of your cake. An example would be a mock newspaper front page featuring words and pictures about the couple.
- Have your cake designed around a sport that you both enjoy.
- Have your cake made to look like your home. This one is especially appropriate for couples who are moving into a new home when they marry.
- Take a simple white wedding cake and place real, fresh pale and dark pink roses in a cascade over the top and down one side.
- Have your cake in the shape of your car, boat, or other special item that you own.
- Where did you meet? Recreate the scene in the design of your cake.
Just about any cake designer will understand your wish to have a cake that is a little different. While they usually have standard recipes for the cake itself depending on your tastes, they will be open to your individual ideas when it comes to the decoration. Usually they have a file of pictures of cakes that they have made and you can consult this as a starting point for discussion.
When you are ordering a wedding cake it is a good idea to have the baker make a drawing of what they plan to do so that you can check that they have correctly understood your wishes. This is especially important with unusual wedding cakes.